Thursday 30 March 2017

find your joy

Christians in a topsy turvy world; is the theme for the Lenten series of evening services this week that are taking place at various Anglican churches. Not unlike the Seventh Day Adventist church services held some weeks ago, parishioners invite persons of other faiths and church slackers to attend nightly services. Last nite as I sat in a pew in the St Augustine's church between my mother and the one who invited me, I surveyed the crowd present. Persons were for the most part in various stages of retirement whose attention was riveted towards the pulpit and singing the hymns with much gusto. The calming peace and reverence, was a perfect setting befitting the theme. As Reverend doctor Gerard Frances (a Moravian pastor) preached the sermon taken from psalms 89 speaking of joy coming from within and happiness being achieved by external things, I understood that significant difference and thought that I would write today to encourage my colleagues to experience a peace that transcends when one is filled with joy deep down in your heart. I nudged my mother in her side when he spoke of Christians with long faces and unapproachable countenances ungodlike, because he said to know god is joy and anyone who hears and speaks to God should have joy and show the same. I reflected on the maturity of the crowd and wondered if it is wisdom of years or fear that draws us closer to God and church as we advance in age and mortality seems like a reality. So long as you, find your joy from within, live your joy and wear your joy for balance in this topsy turvy world, as I do, it matters not your reason. Walk good.

No comments: