Wednesday 12 April 2017

wah you do all day

The question when put to me about my goings on gave me an occasion to examine my routine.
Khalfani Omari Fullerton is a hotshot, Jaguar driving lawyer that lives in Houston, who used whatsapp to give me a call last Saturday evening. After we exchanged the customary pleasantries, he inquired as to what I did all day now that I was retired. Having never thought about it, I attempted to recount what I had done the day before. Unbelievable he said in a jovial but skeptical manner. In answering his question I realized that no two days were the same, for me and to accurately explain that to him was near impossible. He would be unable to understand that routine and schedules were a thing of the past that I had no Court dockets to be present for, no briefs to file, no looming deadlines, no clients to represent, no conference calls, no jail visits, no bumper to bumper traffic on the overpass high above Houston. He couldn't identify with my current lifestyle. 
Had to  explain that I roll out of  bed at 4am walk until it is daybreak, walk down to the beach, do aerobic and yoga stretches, return home, putter about the yard/garden for as long as I wished, have anything for breakfast and there the similarity to the other days ended. Somewhere along the way these two chums from law school could no longer predict with any degree of certainty what the other’s typical day was like. Our lives changed as did the circle. It goes to show there is truth in the adage
 :

No comments: