Tuesday 25 April 2017

contemplating going abroad

I am curious about how many of my retired colleagues are eager to leave their home and sojourn abroad for any extended period. I am not. I am quite content with my environs and do not feel the least like upsetting that. There is in fact no place like home. I recall when I was in college and a young adult I had a never ending list of places to go see each weekend and holiday. A true jetsetter but these days, since retirement, its different.  I have resolved to relive my adventures of those wonderfully daring and carefree experiences,  Those were memorable
great times and I can supplement same with internet research and exploration for updates from the comfort of my humble abode. The only persons excited about my pending travel are my relatives and friends. I find that quite disconcerting. Do they know something I don't, and no one is telling me?  This is particularly troubling since none of them seem to want the responsibility of doing my biding during my absence. Crucial decision must be made when you prepare to go abroad. What mode of transport to choose air, sea, rail, bus, drive or a combination of all. Who will keep your pet, who will water your plants, make your payments, collect your mail, watch your house. All these inconveniences must be put upon another person. Last time I went away and left my dog in a friend's care the dog died, he found it a few days later. So now you understand my trepidation The biggest decision is how long to stay away, what will I pack. This is all too overwhelming. Why am I going abroad, again?

No comments: