Wednesday 5 April 2017

pet therapy

The pet of choice for me has always been a dog, as far back as I remember . In my lifetime I have had a large number of them. I love my Anguilla mutt. So this past weekend when I got a male puppy from Israel I wanted to share my excitement and encourage you to get a pet. In researching reasons why you should, I learnt that there was a correlation between pet and retiree, pet therapy. No matter what your choice of pet, owning one provides therapy. Below are the some of the key benefits of having a pet:

For Mental Health

·       Lifts spirits and lessens depression

·       Decreases feelings of isolation and alienation

·       Encourages communication

·       Provides comfort

·       Increases socialization and sense of community

·       Reduces boredom

·       Decreases anxiety

·       Creates motivation to recover faster

·       Reduces loneliness

For Physical Health

·       Lowers blood pressure

·       Improves cardiovascular health

·       Releases endorphins (oxytocin) that have a calming effect

·       Diminishes overall physical pain

·       The act of petting produces an automatic relaxation response, reducing the amount of medication some folks need

No comments: