Thursday 9 February 2017

the preamble


This first post covers the WHY…not very exciting but necessary to provide the backdrop for the subsequent posts that will cover what and how. 

A few short months ago I separated from the Anguilla Public Service (APS), the largest employer on the island, where I held a senior managerial position within the Executive branch of Government. Each year on average 10 persons retire from the APS unsure of the next steps. In the past decade the APS has held two workshops aimed to prepare persons, months prior to their retirement.  Due to poor attendance and the small numbers it was not cost effective to continue to hold the workshops. Most retirees were of the view that the APS workshop was too late in their career and therefore of little or no value. While I agree the workshop would be more beneficial at least 5 years prior, any information at anytime is always useful and can be of great value. I spoke with a number of persons that had retired before I did and some that left with me. The revelations were astonishing. Suffice it to say, the outcome of my consultation led to the decision to create this medium.

Most persons retiring from the APS would have gotten a letter thanking them for their service, I did too. If you retired in the recent past you would also have received a mug similar to the one pictured above. I share with you, in the picture below, a letter I also received when I demitted office.

Persons retiring from the private industry will not have the same experience as the Public officer when they retire. However, post retirement whether private or public we share both financial and emotional similarities. AUHAWI aims to provide Advice that is Useful Helpful Advantageous and Instructive through facts and tips that are simple and easy to understand. The next post will speak about if we knew then what we know now, from a financial perspective.   

No comments: