Saturday 18 February 2017

reach out


Two things happened yesterday, one was my mother’s 86th birthday the other an appreciation for being able to connect and disconnect at will. The latter is weightier in this instance. I thought I would reach out since I had not heard from my friend and went to visit  her armed with lunch and iPad as I intended to stay for a while, but no good deed goes unpunished. When I arrived she had a visitor, her 2 year old granddaughter. Today, I can relate to the term terrible twos. This day with no interest in Peppa Pig, it was terror unleashed. How could one so small talk so much, eat all day everything and anything and get into all sorts of mischief for the fun of it, I am still exhausted thinking about it. We accomplished nothing, not even a conversation in the ensuing 8 hours save, to be aware of the rooster that crowed throughout the day and her screaming (crying without tears) at the top of her lungs and demanding her grandma put on her shoes and go to catch the rooster. My friend ever so patient was a wreck at the end of the day having fetched and carried, moved to and fro, back and forth at her granddaughter's whim and fancy all day. I, on the other hand realized that connecting and bonding can be accomplished in a myriad of ways and that face to face with a two year old at this age  (retirement)was not recommended for longer than 5 minutes, anything more is a serious health risk . 

 Video chats and voice calls via Hang out, Blackberry messenger, Skype, Whatsapp or Instachat are all free social media that can be utilized provided you have a smart phone and wi fi thus, there is no reason you cannot stay in touch. Ever so often some of my colleagues from work will reach out and ask how I am doing. It is always a thrill to hear from them I usually hastily respond with a greeting, thank you and my query as to how they are doing. Though I subscribe to the notion, it is better to give than receive, I lapse. Unfortunately, I am not as diligent as I can be with initiating the contact as I fear that my call would be at the inopportune moment and a disturbance to the individual. But I resolve to do better and encourage you to every once in a while reach out and connect with friends and past colleagues. Two days ago I invited colleagues from my last job to my home to hear me play the sax. It was good catching up and seeing them again. Stay connected, be first to extend the invitation. 

No comments: